Interested in mentoring a GVP girl?
GVP’s community-based mentoring program provides support to our alumnae as they continue on their educational journeys. We are looking for passionate women who want to make a long-term, consistent commitment to accompanying a GVP alumna as she navigates her future.
Are you ready to be a GVP mentor?
- Must be female and aged 21+
- Personal commitment and time to spend with a mentee
- Willingness to engage and empower mentees’ families
- Patience, flexibility and openness; the ability to listen and to accept different points of view
- Cultural Competence
- Respect for individuals and their abilities and right to make choices in life–GVP mentors empower alumnae by conveying a sense of respect and equal dignity in the relationship.
- Experience with refugee communities or diverse populations is desirable
- Meet with your mentee a minimum of 2x/month
- Assist students and their families with the technical aspects of achieving their educational goals, including assisting with school or college enrollment and obtaining necessary documentation
- Track your mentee’s academic progress
- Participate in mentor meetings and training
- Provide data for program evaluation
How to Become a Mentor
- Complete a mentor application, background check and liability release, and submit to Michelle Kuperman, Mentor Program Director, at: firstname.lastname@example.org or Teni-Ola Ogunjobi, Community Engagement Associate, email@example.com. References are required, preferably from people who can speak to your experience working with young people and/or diverse populations.
- Complete an interview.
- Complete a brief discernment period, attending a minimum of 2 group mentor/mentee gatherings.
- Complete New Volunteer Orientation and 2 hours of New Mentor Training